US: U.S. Senate advances resolution to curb Trump's Iran military operations.
May 20, 2026
Shotlist FILE: Washington D.C., USA - Oct 2024 1. Various of Capitol building, U.S. national flag FILE: Washington D.C., USA - Date Unknown 2. Various of White House FILE: Tehran, Iran - Date Unknown 3. Various of national flags of Iran FILE: Tehran, Iran - April 12, 2026 4. Traffic, national flags of Iran FILE: Tehran, Iran - April 8, 2026 5. Various of traffic, pedestrians, national flags of Iran FILE: Strait of Hormuz - Date Unknown 6. Various of ships sailing in Strait of Hormuz Storyline The U.S. Senate voted 50-47 on Wednesday to advance a bill aimed at restricting President Donald Trump's power to take military action against Iran, requiring him to obtain congressional approval for any future strikes. The bill still faces several steps before becoming law. It marks the first tangible progress for the resolution after seven failed votes since the launch of U.S.-Israel strikes against Iran in late February. Democrats had repeatedly pushed for similar war powers resolution after Trump ordered the strikes, but they had never before mustered enough support. The breakthrough came down to a shift by Louisiana Republican Senator Bill Cassidy, who voted to convict Trump in his 2021 impeachment trial and has since endured strained relations with the president. Cassidy lost his Republican primary last weekend to a Trump-backed opponent. On Tuesday, he threw his support behind the resolution -- casting the decisive vote. Also on Tuesday, Trump said the U.S. could launch another heavy strike on Iran if Tehran continues to reject the major concessions he is demanding. He said Iranian leaders were "begging" to make a deal, but warned that a new U.S. attack could take place in the coming days if no agreement is reached. This remarks came just a day after he said he had postponed a military strike on Iran that had been scheduled for Tuesday. Trump explained that several Gulf nations had informed him that negotiations, mediated by Pakistan, were making progress toward a peace deal. He said he would allow a limited window of at least two to three days for the talks to continue. [Restrictions: No access Chinese mainland/Al-Arabiya/Persian language TV Stations outside Iran. Strictly No Access BBC Persian/VOA Persian/Manoto TV/Iran International/Radio Farda]
Show More Show Less #news
